Monday, September 9, 2013

So are you a Namoboodiri?

It was a typical hot day outside.  I was standing at the exit of one of the famous hospitals in Chennai. A week before I got discharged from the very same place. I was admitted with symptoms of Typhoid.  This was a review day with my consulting doctor. I wasn't having the best day of my life. Because of some misunderstanding (from my own side) the appointment was not done properly. I waited couple of hours to see if any free slot comes up by chance. None. I was asked to come in the afternoon and I was about to leave. There was a slot open in the evening, thanks to some late cancellation.

I was on the steps now. All in my mind was how to catch an auto to home at reasonable fare. There was a fierce bargaining session up front. I was upset. I was very tired. Typhoid had eaten up all my energy. Lost a few kilos. I was looking very pale and had a long beard since I wasn't supposed to shave till my platelet counts are back to normal again. 

Suddenly I felt a touch at my shoulder. I stopped and looked back. A man in his sixties. Clean shaven and neatly dressed. Tucked in formal shirt and trousers. He was very straight forward. 

"Are you a Yogi?" He asked me. 

"No I am not". 

I didn't ask why he asked. I wasn't in the right mood and wanted to get to home as soon as possible. But he wasn't gonna leave me that soon. 

"You look like a Hata Yogi, how do you manage to keep yourself so lean and thin otherwise". 

I was about to laugh. 

"I am not a Yogi. I am lean like this from time immemorial. It's my body type". 

"Oh is it , really? I was watching you for a long time when you were at the pharmacy. I am retired colonel A. and this pharmacy belongs to my son-in-law. You have that aura around your head, that's why I thought you were a yogi. So you are a Brahmin".

"Nice to meet you. But again no I am not."

He was visibly looking disappointed now.

"Oh where are you from then?"

"Kerala"

"Oh Kerala, great. Are you a Namboodiri then?"

I nodded in negative. Next question should be are you a Kshathriya, and then Nair and then, but he stopped asking. He didn't want to get disappoint further. 

"Just recovered from Typhoid" I gave him reason for my pale complexion and long beard. No Sir, I am not a Sanyasin, you are knocking at the wrong door. 

So he wished me best of luck and all. I replied some great day and all. And there ended our conversation and I left the place. Who knew an ugly disease like Typhoid could give me a free ticket to upper class that too amongst the saints! Crazy country!



CopyLeft Information

Singularity എന്ന ബ്ലോഗില്‍ പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിക്കുന്ന ലേഖനങ്ങള്‍ എല്ലാം പൊതുതാല്പര്യാര്‍ത്ഥം ഉള്ളതാണ്. അവ ലേഖകന്റെ അനുമതി കൂടാതെ തന്നെ വാണിജ്യപരമോ വാണിജ്യേതരമോ ആയ എന്താവശ്യത്തിനും ഏതൊരാള്‍ക്കും എപ്പോഴും എത്ര തവണ വേണമെങ്കിലും മാറ്റങ്ങളോടെയോ അതേ പടിയോ ബ്ലോഗിലോ ഇതരമാധ്യമങ്ങളിലോ സ്വതന്ത്രവും സൌജന്യവുമായി ഉപയോഗിക്കാം. മാറ്റം വരുത്തുന്ന പക്ഷം അതില്‍ ഈ ലേഖകന്‍‍ ഉത്തരവാദിയല്ല. പുനഃപ്രസിദ്ധീകരിക്കുന്ന കുറിപ്പിനൊപ്പം മൂലലേഖനത്തിന്റെ രചയിതാവു് എന്ന സ്ഥാനം ലേഖകനു് നല്‍കുന്നതു് അഭികാമ്യം. എന്നാല്‍ ഇതു് നിബന്ധനയല്ല. മറ്റൊരാളുടെ പേരു് പകരം കൊടുക്കാന്‍ അനുമതിയില്ല. വീണ്ടും ഉപയോഗിക്കുന്ന പക്ഷം ആ വിവരം ലേഖകനെ അറിയിക്കണമെന്നും ഈ പകര്‍പ്പുപേക്ഷാപത്രം ഒപ്പം നല്‍കണമെന്നും താത്പര്യപ്പെടുന്നു.